See the latest upcoming events, information and happenings.
- This event has passed.
Clarence City Council World Wetlands Day Celebration!
January 31, 2015 @ 9:00 am - 2:00 pm
World Wetlands Day 2015 – Wetlands for Our Future – Join us!
The 2nd February each year is World Wetlands Day. Get in early on Saturday 31st January, and join us in celebrating our wetlands through music, art, science and recreation, and look to their future in a fast-changing world.
We have a fabulous line-up of wetland-themed events for all the family, including;
- A wetland birds walk with Dr. Eric Woehler to meet the migratory and stay-at-home bird residents of Ralphs Bay
- A Dogs’ Breakfast– bring your pup along and have a sausage and a chat with Birdlife Tasmania members and others about how dogs and native wildlife can live side by side – free leads and dog snacks for all canine participants, and a BBQ for their human companions! Please contact Eric Woehler to let him know you’ll be there, so he can bring enough dog goodies: Email Eric
- Local saltmarsh experts Vishnu Prahalad and Phil Watson will take you on a wetlands walk, to explore the unique flora, ecology and cultural history of the saltmarsh wetlands that adorn much of Tasmania’s coastline. You’ll also have the chance to get involved in Tasmania’s first hands-on trial of community-based wetland health monitoring!
- For the kids, Discovery Rangers Fiona Hume will be talking a wetlands walk, and Jess Fuller-Smith will be games mistress for a range of fun kids activities.
- There will also be wetland-themed face painting for your own little swamp monsters!
- Snappy science talks – local wetland experts give short, sharp and sometimes funny talks on our wetlands and the animals and plants that call them home.
- Book launch of Vishnu Prahalad’s new publication, A guide to the plants of Tasmanian saltmarsh wetlands, by UTAS’s distinguished Professor Jamie Kirkpatrick and renowned Tassie poet Pete Hay.
- Live saltmarsh music! Folk renditions of wetland-themed tunes.
- Colouring in for grown-ups! Join scientific illustrator Georgina Davis for a short introduction to capturing the nature of our wetlands on paper – and take home your own supplies to continue your drawings at home! RSVP’s are required for this event – to book yourself a seat, please click here.
With the exception of the drawing class, all of the days’ activities are FREE! But we do need you to RSVP here, for catering purposes.
Print out your free ticket and bring it on the day to receive a free drink!
A detailed program with event times can be found below.
For more information on World Wetlands Day, click here